The Milevsko Scroll
The Milevsko Scroll is one of nearly 1600 Torah Scrolls saved from destruction during the Holocaust by the Jewish community in Prague. The Memorial Scrolls Trust, based in the UK, has restored the majority of these and sent them to synagogues, museums, and other institutions connected with Jewish life, all around the world. The scroll entrusted to The Wiener Library was written in 1900 in a small town called Milevsko, located south of Prague in present day Czech Republic. The Jewish community in Milevsko existed from the 16th Century until November 1942, when the town’s Jewish inhabitants were deported to Theresienstadt. The scroll can currently be viewed in the Wolfson Reading Room.